Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lake Hike

Hey there, friends!  Missy back with you today.  I have a layout to share using the Autumn Acorns and Tall Type cut files.


I used the Pink Paislee Cedar Lane collection for this.  I decided to scrap this photo of me and some of my friends on a cold November day by a mountain lake in Georgia.  We hiked all through a mountain trail that day and made our way down to the lake, and it was just beautiful.  I think the colors in this line really bring out the Fall "feel" of the photo.

I used some light kraft cardstock to cut the acorns.  I used some iridescent watercolors and gelatos to give the die cut some shading.  I wanted it to look somewhat weathered and dirty, so I used some browns.  I also splattered a bit of blue ink onto it.  I also used some of the blue watercolors on the background and then stitched with gold thread through each row of acorns once I adhered it down.


I used several patterned papers to back some of the acorns.  I didn't want them all backed, so I left a lot of them open.  I used some items from my stash, such as this flair button and wood veneer piece.  I love the idea of mixing light blue into a fall collection.


Here's a close-up of the acorns.  A few of the little thin strips did tear, but I like the way it looks imperfect.  My cutting mat is almost not sticky anmore, and my blade is close to needing to be replaced.  I used a 5 setting when I cut this, and it came through okay.  I like how you can see a lot of the watercolor from the background through the cut file.  I fussy cut that large flower from a piece of paper and layered it over the photo with some of the coordinating die cuts.


I love these letters turned out!  I cut them using a piece of light grey wood grain paper from the collection, but they blended in too much when I put them down.  So I took some white acrylic paint and dabbed some onto the letters using my finger.  I then used a dark brown gelato to cover the bottoms of the letters to make them look like they had been dipped in mud.  Finally, I added some gold glitter washi tape to back the open spots for a bit of sparkle.  Sometimes dirt and sparkle go together, right?  :D

 

Here's one more look at the acorns.  I also added some gold splatters and did my journaling at the bottom of the design.


Here's the process video if you'd like to see how this layout came together.  I hope it inspires you in some way!



Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this layout and I really enjoyed your process video! So many great tips!!

    ReplyDelete